Join us at Horace Mann Middle School in El Portal for the
Little River Celebration & 75th Anniversary.
EVENT SCHEDULE & LOCATIONS:
- 7 a.m. BIRD TOUR – Meet in front of the school’s main entrance for a one-hour walking bird tour led by Sadri Medina of the Tropical Audubon Society. Come prepared to spot a variety of feathered fauna, from woodpeckers and peacocks to orioles and ospreys. Horace Mann Middle School Main Gate – 8950 NW 2nd Avenue
- 9:30 a.m. HISTORY OF THE RIVER LECTURE –Horace Mann Middle School Main Gate – 8950 NW 2nd Avenue– Go to the front of the school’s main entrance and follow the signs to the footbridge, located just south of the school, to hear a lively history of El Portal’s Little River told by local professor Hugh Gladwin
- 10:30 a.m. RIVER SERENADE—Bring your canoe or kayak, or register in advance for free use of ours * and proceed with singers and musicians down the Little River for the River Serenade of Native and Afro-Indigenous Song. The River Serenade concludes at the Tequesta Mound with a community water blessing at the sacred fire.
- Canoes will launch at 10:30am next to the NW 2nd Avenue footbridge located just south of the Horace Mann main gate on 8950 NW 2nd Avenue- -From the main gate follow signs to launch area
- The Tequesta Burial Mound is located at 385 NE 85th Street and guests who are not in boats can see the serenade as it passes below the NW 2nd Avenue footbridge, the N Miami Avenue bridge or the NE 2nd Avenue bridge and then meet at the Tequesta mound for the water blessing that will take at approximately 11:30 am
- CONTACT firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a canoe
- 12:00-5:30 CONCERT & FAMILY PICNIC– Relax and hear live music, eat, peruse info from local organizations and vendors, learn about South Florida fauna at a native wildlife exhibit, and help celebrate the 75th Anniversary of the Village of El Portal! Horace Mann Middle School Field – 8950 NW 2nd Avenue
ART EXHIBITS :
- “PEACE FLAGS IN THE WIND” Art Installation – Installation by Joseph Vasile &‘WhattheFlower.com’ – Viewable from all bridges that connect El Portal & Little Haiti
- “DAMMIT DOLL” -A collaboration by Hawk Tran of Lotus Project, What the Flower and in cooperation with Drew Levich, CEO and Founder of Dammit Dolls: Dammit Doll is an 8’ Art Installation that is made of fabric designed by local children involved with the project in order to promote individual creativity. Located at the Horace Mann Footbridge- Just south of the school’s main gate at 8950 NW 2nd Avenue
- ARTIST TENT – visit the Artists tent on the Horace Mann Middle School Field to see and purchase the works of local artists
For more information, please contact email@example.com.